Re: Stuck getting my xserver up

On 07/30/2006 02:41 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
Argh, I got through updating this Sid machine, but when I run startx
I just get a gray screen and no X cursor.  I have a Matrox G550 and
was running Xinerama before.

I'll post links to my logs below.

A number of packages were "held back" when I finished the update,
although I doubt this would be a problem for the xserver:

    # apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
      bzflag checkinstall dbus-1-utils ffmpeg gdk-imlib1 gksu
      libavifile-0.7c2 libdiscover1 libdiscover2 libggi2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0
      libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-oss mjpegtools mozilla-mplayer
      mplayer-k6 ntp planetpenguin-racer python-apt python-crypto
      python-twisted-core python-twisted-lore python-twisted-mail
      python-twisted-names python-twisted-news python-twisted-runner
      python-twisted-web python-twisted-words transcode
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.

Is .xsession still used?  That's the file I have been using to start
icewm.  So, I created a new .xinitrc file instead with just:

    moseley@bumby:~$ cat .xinitrc
    exec xterm

Do "man Xsession." It seems that .xsession is still used, but .xinitrc is given priority.

Although it shouldn't make a difference, try writing .xinitrc without the 'exec.' Even better would be to try this:

$ xinit /usr/bin/icewm-session

That should ignore any .xinitrc/.xsession problems.

Note: I'm a Sarge user and don't know much about Sid.