Re: incompatibility betwen libc6 and initrd-tools

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:39:02 -0300, Ricardo Buzzo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the subtitle editor gaupol, that depends of
> python-gth2, that depends therefore the package libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1). The
> problem is that when I try to install libc6 (# dpkg --install
> libc6_2.3.6-16_i386.deb) the console returns:
>
>   libc6 conflicts with initrd-tools (<< 0.1.84.1)
>   initrd-tools (version 0.1.81.1) is instaled.
>   dpkg: error processing libc6_2.3.6-16_i386.deb (--install):
>   conflict packages - libc6 not instaled
> (my sistem is in portuguese, so I translated all that message sistems,
> please ignore any problem)
>
> My problem is that I can't uninstall initrd-tools without uninstall the
> kernel-image too, what seems to me a big problem. When I configure the
> synaptic to the unstable packages, it marks a lot of non-sense modifications
> on the system (including the uninstall of the kernel and the armagetron!).
> Anybody nows what's the problem? I've seen a lot of mails in the list about
> the conflict involving libc6 and other packages, but not with the kernel,
> and no solution pointed that solved my problem. In betwen, anybody nows
> another subtitle editor easier to install?

You use Sarge, right? You cannot just install a different version of
libc6 on your system. It is the core library for C programs and
therefore a lot of your packages depend on a specific version of it
(2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 for current Sarge).

Unfortunately it seems that gaupol is not available from
www.backports.org. If .srt support is enough for you then you could try
ksubtile which has been backported for Sarge.

P.S. You can prefix your commands with "LANG=en_US " then you will get
     English error messages which you can post to this list directly.
     (This requires that you create the en_US locale, of course.)

--
Regards,
          Florian