Re: Install firefox extensions globally

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 13:05:54 +0200, T wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone successfully installed firefox extensions globally? I don't
> want the firefox extensions installed into my local profile. The benefits
> are:
>
> - so that I don't need to install them over and over for different local
> users.
>
> - I can switching between my Debian Sarge and Etch back and forth without
> and problem. Now it is a one-way journey and I wish I could go back to
> Sarge sometimes.
>
> Anybody knows how? please help.
>
> FYI, for a list of problems trying to do so, please refer to:
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2398824#2398824

The global install option of firefox fails on Linux because Linux will
not let normal users install stuff in system directories.
(/usr/lib/firefox/ in this case) This is not a bug, it is a security
feature. You can of course make this directory writeable for the
normal users (assuming you have root on the machine) but I don't think
that this is a good thing to do.

The page you refer to has people trying to install extensions by running
the firefox extension installer as root. It goes without saying that
this is a really dumb idea. The code of some random, unknown, untrusted
extension author gets root privileges on their boxes. If you do things
like that you might as well stay with Windows.

--
Regards,
          Florian