Re: Network static howto

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 07:24:04PM +0200, Raphael Brunner wrote:

> I added all the data in /etc/network/interfaces and this is also up if I
> see with ifconfig.

  Great.

> But, the nameservice don't run. If I add the following:
> route add default gw 192.126.1.1

  It sounds like you have a network interface which has an address
 configured, but your default gateway is missing?

  That should be included in the static information you added to
 the interfaces file.  For example this is my setup at home:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1

  As you can see the gateway is specified upon the last line.

  If you've setup your system in a similar manner it should just work.
 If it doesn't please post the output of :

    netstat -nr

  both before and after adding the route, along with your interface
 file contents.

  The following article might be useful to you too:

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/