Re: dchroot not working

Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 22:57 +0000, Mauricio Calvao wrote:
>> You mean I should delete the present etch chroot and then install it all
>> again first as sarge and then, keeping login package under hold, to
>> etch??? Or should I wait for some fixing from the developers??
>
> That would work, if your problem is the same as mine.  I think the
> problem lies in dchroot on your system (not in chroot), so waiting for
> it to be fixed would probably be waiting for Etch to be released.
>
> Is it simple to downgrade the login package (I don't think so)?  If so,
> do that.  If that doesn't work easily and you don't want to remake the
> chroot, perhaps you can set up a script, inside the chroot, and run
> the /script/ instead of the command you're trying to run.  I think
> that's how it works; if not someone correct me please.

The version of dchroot in stable (not etch or unstable) uses su(1) to
execute the command.  su is part of the login package, which could
explain this.

Does running

  dchroot ... /usr/bin/openoffice

instead of

  dchroot ... openoffice

make any difference?

How about

  dchroot ... perl /usr/bin/openoffice

or

  dchroot ... 'perl /usr/bin/openoffice'

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.