Re: Debian Support for IBM xSeries 360

Russell L. Harris wrote:

Most of the people who complain loudest about the difficulties of
printing in Linux never had to depend upon an IBM line printer, the
input to which was in the form of 80-column punched cards. ;-) And most
of them never knew the utter rapture of owing your very own Epson MX-80,
and the frustration of the variety of handshaking schemes used with the
RS-232 serial interface.

My typewriter (my NEW typewriter) was stolen before my freshman year started. When I needed to turn in a typed report, I keypunched it onto cards, then stuck it between some JCL cards to designate it as data, and ran the job. This gave me a printout of my card deck. I separated pages and removed the tractor feed at the perforations (as well as removing the side perforation to get the paper to 8 1/2 x 11). This extra from the side made great note taking paper. I put all of my notes for a term paper on that stuff and when I printed out the term paper I got more of the stuff. (Can you tell that I was a broke college student?)

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail