Re: Re: Recursive copy to udf-formatted dvd-ram freezes system

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Eckhard Kosin wrote:
>
> >         Hi,
> >
> >         I formatted a dvd-ram with udf:
> >
> >         mkudffs --media-type=dvdram /dev/scd0
> >
> >         Than after mounting the dvd-ram I can copy files to it and a
> >         diff shows
> >         that the copied files are okay. To ensure that the files
> >         have really
> >         been written I switched the writer off and on and mounted
> >         and ejected
> >         another dvd between cp and diff, and there were no
> >         differences.
> >
> >         But if I try to recursively copy directories to the udf-formatted
> >         dvd-ram:
> >
> >         cp -r /some/dir /media/cdrecord
> >
> >         than after a few seconds the system freezes totally - only a power
> >         off/on to reboot is possible.
> >
> >         The same occurs if I use Nautilus for the copying.
> >
> >         However if I formatted the dvd-ram with ext2 filesystem, all went fine,
> >         no problems.
> >
> >         I run Ubuntu 5.10 with kernel 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic on a Dell OPTIPLEX
> >         GX620 (Intel P4 620, 1G RAM), the dvd-writer is a NEC ND-4550A (Firmware
> >         1.07), connected via USB2 with a Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE
> >         Adapter.
>
> Strange: why do you run a amd64 kernel on a Pentium 4?

The Intel P4 630 (sic, the 620 in my original post was an error of mine,
sorry) has EM64T (Extended Memory 64 Technology) and the download page
of Ubuntu says that amd64 is the right architecture.

> I would check this out before investigating further.
>
> Also check the output of syslog.

The system freezes a few seconds after starting the copying and after
reboot there is no specific entry in syslog.

> Why don't you post to Ubuntu?

I did in the forum but I didn't receive any answer. Perhaps I'll try in
the Ubuntu mailing list, too.

             Ecki
--
  Eckhard Kosin