Re: newbie question -- Using Bootlog, Startup Messages, Console

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I'll echo the question about where to find that out other than a helpful
> > reply on this list.
>
> A manpage does not always include specific info about how things are set
> up in Debian, unfortunately. (You can file a wishlist bug asking the
> package maintainer to include a brief statement about where to find the
> configuration files.)
>
> In such cases it often helps to look for all system files with a
> suspicious name; so you would try
>
> dpkg -S bootlogd
>
> Then you can have a look at the files which are reported. This command
> will also tell you which package contains bootlogd, so you can run
>
> dpkg -L initscripts
>
> to find out where other important information might be. (Often it is in
> the /usr/share/doc/packagename directory.)

Thanks for the enlightening info ... here's what I've done so far to obtain a
Bootlog (/var/log/boot) and then subsequently that gets moved to boot.0, boot.1
and so on...as a new one /var/log/boot gets created -- and the older ones moved
down a notch.

I did what Mumia suggested -- here's my /etc/default/bootlogd file now;
---------------
$ cat /etc/default/bootlogd

# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
---------------

It *seems* to possibly needed a few boots to kick in (atleast for me it did) ..
I have also now used 'tune2fs' to Enable a fsck (/sbin/fsck.ext3) at every 3rd
mount -  rather than the default of every 30(?) mounts. IIRC, I did 'tune2fs c3
C3' I can't exactly pinpoint which one (syntax) actually took effect correctly,
but the Bootlog file (/var/log/boot) shows me the actual events that occurred
(as it should) and tells one where to look for other info concerning those
events and their respective logfiles.

Ex:
>From Bootlog we see;
------------------------------
~$ sudo cat /var/log/boot
	Tue Jul 25 12:12:43 2006: Done checking root file system.
	Tue Jul 25 12:12:43 2006: A log will be saved in /var/log/fsck/checkroot
	if that location is writable.
------------------------------

So then I do;

------------------------------
$ sudo cat /var/log/fsck/checkroot

	Log of fsck -C -a -V -t ext3 /dev/hdc1
	Tue Jul 25 12:12:42 2006

	fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
	[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hdc1
	/: clean, 150213/1062880 files, 1280289/2124588 blocks (check in 2 mounts)
----------------------------

And then i do;

-----------------------------
~$ sudo cat /var/log/fsck/checkfs

	'Log of fsck -C -V -R -A -a
	Tue Jul 25 16:12:45 2006

	fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
	Checking all file systems.

	Tue Jul 25 16:12:45 2006

I'd say that's pretty darn sweet ;-)

Thanks to all: for your help and guidance -- I hope the OP finds this info
useful as well...

Regards