really confused about root's shell - please clue me up

Hi!

When my root's shell is `/bin/bash' in the /etc/passwd file, and I do
`su' as a simple user, then the root's .profile (/root/.profile) gets
executed.
After setting the root's shell to `/bin/sh', and do `su' as a simple
user, then the root's .profile doesn't get executed until i run su as
`su -'. My /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash.

ps.: I can tell if the .profile is used or not from the prompt (I have
the PS1 variable set in the .profile file).

Thanks!

Daniel

--
LeVA