can´t ether-wake from the internet

This is odd: I can ether-wake my desktop from another computer on my home lan, but I can´t ether-wake it while ssh´ing to my gateway from an outside computer (win pc at work). However, I can ether-wake another sarge machine running in a abit+athlon with via-rhine eth card. Why is that?
The system is a sarge machine, the eth card is an onboard via gigabit (via-velocity module), in a abit/sempron desktop. The gateway is a coyote linux p1, if it matters.
Thanks for any inputs!

bruno