Re: Sound Configuration problem on clean Sarge install

If you are using GNOME and want to use ALSA instead you must also
install the gstreamer<version>-alsa package if you want to get ALSA
pipes working.  The version number varies depending on which branch of
Debian you have.  I believe it is 0.8 for Sarge.

You can then set ALSA as the default in preferences.

I'd also make sure you install a mixer, and make sure that your master
volume and PCM are not muted, as they ususally is by default, resulting
in no sound although everything is installed properly.

If you aren't using a stock Debian kernel, you must also make certain
that you have ALSA support installed and available for your hardware,
then load the appropriate driver.  If it doesn't work after that you
probably have a permissions problem with the device node under /dev.

ALSA has been the default sound system for Linux for a number of years,
replacing OSS entirely.  I'll never understand why the option for OSS
even exists anymore in GNOME as far as Linux is concerned.

One last caveat... OSS does not allow for the sound device to be shared,
so if you are running any OSS applications, I'd turn off all sound
events before you use the applications, as they might refuse to work if
another program is accessing the device.  Yet another reason why OSS is
ancient history.

I do wish you the best of luck.  If I can help further please don't
hesitate, and post to the list or email me directly.

Cheers,
T.J.