Re: new installation not finding large memory

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Jeff D wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Gilles Mocellin wrote:

Le jeudi 20 juillet 2006 22:26, Miles Fidelman a écrit :
Hi Folks,

I know I must be doing something very silly, but my brand new installation is only finding 1gig of the 4gig of ram installed in my brand new server.

Even if I stick a "mem=4096m" line as a boot option, it's still not
showing up. (the only suggestion I've seen in the reference materials).

Any suggestions?
Which kernel do you use ?
I saw the same thing with a default i386 kernel.
When I switched to an i686-smp one (Xeon HT), I saw the light... Hum, the RAM !

I'm using the out-of-the-box i386 2.6 kernel that comes with the Sarge installer.
So I guess I have to build a kernel?  Sigh...

Thanks,

Miles

you can just apt-get a new kernel
apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 will show you the list of available kernels, just pick the one that is right for your system

ok - thanks to all who responded - looks like I'm currently running 2.6.8-2-386
CONFIG_EDD=m
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set

which explains a lot

looks like
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686, or
kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686
would be appropriate (I'm running a P4, single processor)
any particular reason to go with one or the other?
the -3 is more up to date, so probably a good idea.

and, a few newbie questions:
- any idea why the installer only gives the -386 kernel as a choice?
if you do an expert install it will give a choice afaik.
- the 2.6 kernel off the Sarge installer comes with SATA, md, and LVM support - will the -686 version as well?
should do
- what's the specific procedure for replacing my current kernel and initrd with the new one - is it just an apt-get install, or is it more complicated?
apt-get install $newkernel
reboot
apt-get --purge remove $oldkernel

kk