Re: intel 3d accel

hi,

> have an intel graphics card, and i' d like to have 3d acceleration on
> it. I have debian stable and testing, too, so i' d be interested in
> both (xorg and xfree too, but certainly xorg is more important).
to have 3d acceleration for intel cards you will need

1) intel agpgart, drm and respective drivers (i am not sure which ones you will need for this card - maybe i810, i830 or i915) compiled in your kernel or as modules. if you compile them as modules the system will choose the right one.
maybe these are already present. what is the output of lsmod?

excerpts from my config (i knew which things are needed, so i compiled it to the kernel)
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_I915=y

2) i810 module for xorg version 7.0; for older versions i think it is automatically installed

3) to get acceleration working you might need the newest dri drivers. if your card 3d capabilities aren't recognized (you will see it in the xorg output) download the latest dri from dri.freedesktop.org - you will need i915 driver, i think - search the archive of debian-user, this was surely discussed relatively recently

one comment - you need xorg i810 driver and dri i915 driver

4) modify your xorg.conf accordingly - relevant parts of my xorg.conf are displayed below.
Section "Module"
	Load	"i2c"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"dbe"
EndSection
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"i945GM"
	Driver		"i810"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"screen"
	Device		"i945GM"
	Monitor		"lcd"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x800" "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

there can be one more issue with laptop - if you have widescreen panel, you may have problems with setting the proper resolution. in such a case, use 915resolution available from debian packages.

hope i didn't forget anything important. regards,

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net