Re: new installation not finding large memory

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I know I must be doing something very silly, but my brand new installation is only finding 1gig of the 4gig of ram installed in my brand new server.

Even if I stick a "mem=4096m" line as a boot option, it's still not showing up. (the only suggestion I've seen in the reference materials).

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

what kernel are you using?
check /boot/config-$kernel
see:
jeffd@proto:~$ grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
jeffd@proto:~$ grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.8-2-k7 CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

this is from a sarge system that i have, the 386 kernel wont support that much memory, but the k7 will, those are the only ones I have, but I'd bet that the 686 versions do as well.