Re: USB hotplug woes

Vandoorn, Yvo;

I have never done that. I know that with the 2.6 kernel (that I have on
many laptops) plug a usb device in and an icon appears on the desktop for it.

Do you want the script to autorun whe  the usb device is pluged in? If so
do some googles on "auto run", there are some programs you can find to do
that for you.

I have done it on windows cds that I want to start up a webpage for example

>What will it take to have a script run once the 2.6 kernel is loaded and a
>flash drive is inserted.
>

>On 7/20/06 11:49 AM, "chouck@binghamton.edu" <chouck@binghamton.edu> wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth...
>> I find usb hotplug impossible to do wiht the 2.4.x kernel,
>> and it happens automagically with the 2.6.x kernel.
>>
>> IF there is nothing stopping you from using a 2.6.x kernel
>> just apt-get install <2.6 kernel you need>
>> and there you have it. GRUB will show both kernels at boot time BTW..
>>
>> To check your current kernel ls -l /lib/modules
>>
>> To find the kernels avaliable
>> apt-cache search kernel-image |grep 2.6
>>

>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> I'll admit my knowledge in the hotplug department isn't spectacular.
>>>
>>> Currently I have a machine setup to run a script when a specific USB flash
>>> drive is inserted. I did this by defining the script and vendor ID &
>>> product ID in the usb.handmap file (/etc/hotplug/usb.handmap). This works
>>> great and as expected. The script tells the device to mount and do a few
>>> things.
>>>
>>> So this works as expected, great. But now I want to future proof it a
little
>>> by only looking at the Vendor ID and then just running the script. However
>>> usb.handmap requires a vendor & product ID in order for it to load. I
can't
>>> get this seem to work. Sure I can add each vendor & product ID for each
>>> device I have, however that isn't really future proofing.
>>>
>>> Currently I have usb.handmap to read:
>>> key.sh                  0x0003 0x054c   0x02a5    0x0100       0x0000
>>> 0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00
>>> 0x00            0x00000000
>>>
>>> And I have tried:
>>>
>>> key.sh                  0x0003 0x054c   0x0000    0x0000       0x0000
>>> 0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00
>>> 0x00            0x00000000
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?

RbtBotL
Craig - ><>