Re: dma errors

Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:29:51 -0600
> John Schmidt <jaschmidt@uofu.net> wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have two IDE drives connected together using lvm.  The drives are
>> > quite new, the motherboard is quite old.  I put a single ext3
>> > partition on top of lvm which is used for temporary large data sets.
>> > I get the following error messages from dmesg:
>> >
>> > EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
>> > EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>> > hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> > hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> > hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20
>> > hde: DMA timeout retry
>> > PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
>> > PDC202XX: Secondary channel reset.
>> > hde: timeout waiting for DMA
>> > hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
>> > hde: DMA timeout error
>> > hde: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>> > DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> > hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
>> > hde: DMA timeout error
>> > hde: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>> > DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> > hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
>> > hde: DMA timeout error
>> > hde: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>> > DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> >
>> > What would be the source of these errors and how should I go about
>> > fixing them?
>
> A couple of things, the generic IDE driver doesn't do dma , make sure
> you load the module for your chipset. Using 'hdparm' will
> show if dma is set for the drives.

While I'm no expert, I believe the standard IDE driver in sarge DOES
support dma (otherwise my computers would be unusable; hdparm is not
installed).  I've had similar errors on a computer running sarge that
had hard disk and/or controller h/w problems.

I did not have those dma errors before the hardware problems.

You might install the smartmontools package to test and monitor the
disks.  Perhaps someone else could advise on whether your lvm set-up
could be a factor.

Regards,
Ralph