Re: Etch: blank (black) screen, Xorg is running, modes are Ok

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 12:32:10 -0300, Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe wrote:
Dear Srs,

I've got a new plain install of etch which is running ok, with Xorg/kdm/kde.

The modes are ok: I have only four resolutions (1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480) and I can see all of them right after a boot, by cycling the modes with ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.

However, if Xorg is restarted for any reason (ctrl-alt-backspace, logoff, telinit 1 followed by ctrl-D, /etc/init.d/kdm stop followed by /etc/init.d/kdm start, etc.) it *does* run (no errors in the console), shows in "#ps -eal <return>" output and I can even (blindly) login successfully, but the screen remains black.

Also (this is interesting), the same happens if I switch to a console and then back to X (ctrl-alt-F1 folowed by ctrl-alt-F7).

In every case, the system still reacts to ctrl-alt-plus, ctrl-alt-minus and ctrl-alt-backspace (I can hear my TRC display switching scan modes), but there is no image at all - well, there is a very subtle, almost completely dark, glow in the screen, seeming to be the correct desktop scan size, but nothing identifiable.

As far as I could test, the only way to restore proper operation is reboot (sigh!).
Any hints?

We need to know which graphics card you are using and which driver.
Sorry. I should have included that info from the beginning...

Post the output of the following two commands:
lspci | egrep -i 'vga|display|graphic'
nip2024:~> lspci | egrep -i 'vga|display|graphic'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

awk '/Section "Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

nip2024:~> awk '/Section "Device"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
       Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

The xorg.conf file was generated/placed by the install procedure.
Have just tried to swith to the i810 driver. The behaviour is the same.
Should I post the (big) Xorg.0.log file?

Thaks for your help,
Joao