Re: Playing with backported kernel

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:08:00PM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if it is a good idea to install the 2.6.16 kernel from
> backports. But apt-get told me it would need to remove hotplug. I'd also
> like to keep my current setup (with 2.6.8-2-k7 sarge stock, which runs
> just fine) so I could boot both.
> Will 2.6.8-2-k7 miss hotplug badly? Is 2.6.16 worthy?
> Please notice this is a production machine.
> thanks!
Hi Bruno,
later kernels add the hotplug functionality into udev and thus ask that
you remove the 'seperate' hotplug. But once you do this, the older
kernel will not be able to run since it is meant to be a one way
proposition. There may be a workaround, that will be up to you to
maintain. So, if you want to keep things simple, either stay where you
are or upgrade with no easy way to go back. But in either case, test
this out on a similar 'testing' machine as you dont want unknown things
to happen on your production machine.
cheers,
Kev