Easy to manage debian mirror

Hi

My adjacent debian mirror, gulus.usherbrooke.ca, goes off and on often. I
need to access my 2nd choice when it is down. So I have to change my apt
sources.list, pull down all the package lists from it before I can do
anything.

Now I'm thinking, I should put an persistent entry 'debian-mirror' in my
/etc/hosts, eg:

132.194.22.137 cudlug.cudenver.edu      debian-mirror

so when I need to change my debian mirror, I just need to change this one
line in my etc/hosts file, no changing sources.list, no pulling down
package info that I've already got, no redundant files under
/var/lib/apt/lists/... all in all, this would be the easiest to manage
solution.

However, although I could do 'ping debian-mirror', 'apt-cache search',
when doing 'apt-get update', it reported

  Could not resolve 'debian-mirror'

So, is there any way to make the above plan works?

PS, I also have my cache-only DNS server installed.

thank