Wireless Card recommendation

Hey folks, I finally decided to put together a home network for the
first time.  I bought a Linksys router which, after a lot of work
(adding its address to /etc/resolv.conf and updating the firmware), I
got up and running properly.  Then I attempted to add a PCI wireless
network card to my computer naively assuming that all such cards would
be well supported under Linux (kernel 2.6.8) just like, say, USB
keyboards.  Apparently such is not the case.  Thus began my odyssey.
After two days and 8 hours my eyes have finally glazed over and I
realize that the card I bought currently has no support.  Fine.  I
will return it and buy a new one.

I see that there are three options with wireless cards.  Some have
support built into the kernel which would be ideal, some use the
ndiswrapper which seems easy enough to configure, and then others need
drivers compiled which is less desirable.  Much of the information I
could find online that mentioned specific cards seemed dated -- cards
no longer available for purchase through normal retail channels.  So
my question to everyone, is there a good wireless card (PCI or USB)
that I can buy right now at retail stores or online that has good
support.  Built in support is ideal but I'm confident that I can get
the ndsiwrapper solution working.  I need an actual make and model, as
specific as possible since the last one I bought was oh so close but
the slight version number difference resulted in failure.

Thanks everyone,
David Bellows