Re: sarge for i386

mike williams:

> is it possible to use the gnu\lnux as a "normal" OS to do things like
> browse webpages and download programs etc...

Sure it is!

I am not sure what you mean by "downloading programs". With Debian, you
will usually be installing software from (semi-) official repositories.
The tool of choice to do that is aptitude, but if you prefer GUI
applications you will probably like synaptic. You only need to download
and install programs manually when it is not available from a
trustworthy repository (ftp.debian.org, backports.org,
debian-multimedia.org come to mind, but there are others).

> and if so,how? i dont
> have a problem logging in,but then all i get is debia"a"mike~$, what
> do i do from there to browse web pages etc...

That sounds like you didn't choose the "Desktop" task when installing
Debian. But don't worry. To install software, you have to log in as root
and run "tasksel". At the top, you should see the Desktop task. Tick it
(if I remember correctly by pressing space) and confirm your selection.
Now you should either be prompted to insert an installation medium
(CD/DVD) or the program starts downloading quite a huge bunch of
programs. When all this has finishes, you should be able to get a
graphical login by running

/etc/init.d/gdm start

as root. This will automatically be run at boot from now on, so you
don't have to remember this.

J.
--
If I was a supermodel I would give all my cocaine to the socially
excluded.