Re: A question about chatting

On 7/16/06, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Debian users.

My sister wants to chat with MS Windows users who use a chat
program called `messenger'.
Can she do that using Debian GNU/Linux, and will any IRC client
be fine? A command line tool would be better, as `ircii'.

Thanks for any reply,
Rodolfo

MSN Messenger is not related to IRC, but their are a couple ways
to communicate with people that use MSN Messenger.

One is to use a multi-protocol IM program such as Gaim or Kopete.
They can connect to many different protocols, including AIM, ICQ,
Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger.

The other way is  to use the Jabber network. Jabber is a free and
open IM network (the others are proprietary, and unofficial clients
like Gaim and Kopete work only because someone reverse
engineered the protocol). Any Jabber client can connect to any
Jabber server and in addition many Jabber servers have Gateways
that can connect to the other IM services.

Jabber clients for Linux include Psi, Gabber2, Kopete and Gaim.
There is some info on using gateways here:
http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber#Finding_Gateways

You mention command line clients; I thought there weren't any
MSN command line clients but I was wrong. There is gtmess
and MSNre and Centericq, which is multi-protocol. Command
line Jabber clients include Cabber and IMcom.

Hope the helps.

Cheers,
Kelly