APT can't find packages...

I'm having some trouble installing a couple of Debs. I've got them in
a repository on my local hard drive. I've run dpkg-scanpackages on the
repository and I can see the packages in Synaptic. When I try to
install the packages Synaptic tells me how much disk space is required
and alerts me that it can't verify the source of the packages.

After I tell Synaptic that I want to install the packages anyways it
gives me an error message stating that it can't find the files:

"W: Failed to fetch file. File not found."

I get the same problem when I try to install the packages directly
from Apt using the command line.

I have double checked the path to the repository, and I know that the
Debs I'm trying to install are in the directory.

Any suggestions on what is causing the problem? Why is Apt telling me
that it can't find the files? It obviously "sees" them if it knows
their disk space requirements and that they aren't verified.

(The files are the Sun Java packages from the non-free section of the
official Debian package repository. I don't know if this makes a
difference.)

Scott Huey

P.S. - I'm running Debian Etch.