Re: CD writer wear out?

* Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> [2006 Jul 17 16:00 -0500]:
> On Mon July 17 2006 12:54 pm, Art Edwards wrote:
> > I have had several CD burners die. They read just fine, but they stop
> > writing after a very finite number (say tens) of CD's. My hardware vendor
> > says that this is rare. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there
> > something I should be doing?
>
> Really!? I have CD burners here that go back 7 years and they still work. I
> don't know what to suggest but I don't think the burner is worn out.

I have a Sony I bought in '01.  About 18 months ago it started making
discs that were nearly unreadable on my T23.  I bought an Iomega USB
writer and that helped for a while.  Finally I replaced the CD-ROM in
the T23 with a CD/DVD-RW drive.  Since it's much faster than my old
Sony, I just use it.

I suspect minor alignment problems over time especially on a laptop.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"