Re: [Fwd: Re: Why?]

Owen Heisler wrote:
> <snip>
> This all seems to be about questions in the installer, but all the
> installer really does (at least for me) is set up a minimal Debian
> system.  I think the tasksel that the installer uses (that's it, right?)
> is so simple that it is useless, but I don't want to use it anyway.  I
> will use my preferred method of package management to install other junk
> later.  For the newbie, this would be aptitude ran from base-config.
>
> My opinion is that the installer should be kept simple, excluding
> package selection.  The installer sets up a minimal system, and other
> packages are added later using other software.  /This/ software can be
> set up to be newbie-friendly.  Their are way too many options for
> packages for any of it to be incorporated into the installer.
>
> $0.02 from Owen
What is the "Minimal System"?
When I install Debian, I tend to install just as little as I can, then
back out of hte install as soon as I can - this, to me, is the ideal
inital install of Debian - though I do tend to setup servers.

Other people feel that the _everything_ should be installed (Which, to
their annoyance, just isn't possible on Debian), and between these two
extremes, we have all kinds of middle grounds.

Some are very happy with the "Minimal" system that Ubuntu setups, others
like tasksel, - the point I'm making is that what is "Minimal" is very
hard to get more than two people to agree on.

Personally, I love the minimal installation of Debian for servers - but
lately I've prefered the "minimal" installation of Ubuntu for my
desktops - the needs are different. (Having said that, I'm returning to
Debian - I'm just too used to it.)