Re: Going back to stable

On Jul 15, 2006, at 5:53 AM, Dave Ewart wrote:

On Saturday, 15.07.2006 at 01:00 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

That is not exactly supported.  Especially since there are *huge*
differences between stable and unstable. Gnome has been upgraded twice, XFree86 was replaced by X.org. Those two alone would be enough to scare
me off.  Your best bet is to reinstall.  If you kept /home on a
sepearate partition from the beginning, this should be relatively
trivial to accomplish without losing many settings.

I'd second this advice.  Re-install, don't even *try* to downgrade...

I agree as well.

Though it has been possible in the past, at the current time that ''not exactly supported'' is at best a rather gracious euphemism. I tried to go from testing->stable the other day with disastrous results. Things really got wedged when apt-get/dpkg objected to removing some files shared by debian-utils and some other package whose name escapes me.

I gave up and reinstalled from scratch.