Re: "Unpacking replacement..." hangs in apt-get.

Thibaut Paumard wrote:
Le vendredi 14 juillet 2006 à 15:10 +0200, Adam Soltan a écrit :

I have an annoying problem with apt-get. When I run for instance
apt-get upgrade it shifts into gear and starts downloading
packages but it then hangs while unpacking some of them.
Twin ctrl-c:s seem to skip the offending packages and move on
with other ones. Below is a listing of what it can look like.
Any tips?.. I am running debian 3.1r0a AMD64.

[...]
Preparing to replace mozilla-browser 2:1.7.8-1sarge5 (using .../mozilla-browser_2%3a1.7.8-1sarge6_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mozilla-browser ...
<CTRL-C><CTRL-C>
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mozilla-browser_2%3a1.7.8-1sarge6_amd64.deb (--unpack):
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script killed by signal (Interrupt)

FWIW, since it seems it has something to do with removing the previous
version rather than installing the new one, I would try and "aptitude
remove --purge" the offending packages first (and see what happens).

That may be a pain if you have a lot of packages depending on them
though, or e.g. if you manually installed plugins in system directories.

Naturally, if you find that you have to do something unusual to perform
the upgraded, please submit a bug report...

T.

Now I get the dreaded "Package is in a very bad inconsistent state -
you should reinstall it before attempting a removal." message. There
seems to be some kind of evil mix up in the apt-database. I tried all
sorts of stuff even dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq mutt but no
luck. I just get

dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 105643 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mutt ...

... and it hangs there.

/Adam Soltan