Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

* Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [2006:07:14:10:52:16+0200] scribed:
> helices <helices@helices.org> writes:
>
> > * Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [2006:07:13:13:47:58+0200] scribed:
> > <snip />
> >
> >> The amd64.debian.net is at the same level as sarge if you include the
> >> proposed updates. The only difference to official sarge is that the
> >> ftp-master hasn't pushed those proposed updates into our sarge yet
> >> (for which we all hate him a bit).
> >
> > Also, don't forget the kernel issues.  Much 64-bit hardware is quite
> > new, and NOT directly supported by the kernels available in Sarge.
> > Newer kernels may require else not available in Sarge; which may further
> > muddy the waters ...
>
> So? Neither are the i386 kernels any newer. Sarge has 2.6.8 as newest
> kernel across the board.
>
> The kernel version in sarge is not relevant to the topic of amd64
> being inofficial.

I do NOT quarrel with what you write; rather, I am making the point that
Sarge _cannot_ run on much 64-bit hardware, because the older kernels do
NOT support the newer hardware.  Although, as you say, this has
_nothing_ to do with any "official" amd64 Sarge distribution; I believe
that it is important that people consider these issues prior to
installing Debian on such hardware.

Don't forget the origin to this thread ...

--
Best Regards,

helices
-