Re: Using tar to extract files from tape

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Alec Berryman wrote:

Haines Brown on 2006-07-13 09:48:02 -0400:

I tried:

  # tar xvf /dev/st0  *.xyz
    tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Input/output error
    tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

When I tried the tvf options for tar, I get the same result.

How does one extract the *xyz files from the tape?

I don't know much about tape drives, but I would assume if you used dd
to copy the information on the tape to a file on your disk, you'd be
able to read it like a normal tar file.

Google this issue, you have to use kernel 2.2 or set the block size to 64kb or some weird number to get the data off of the tape.