Re: dell poweredge 830

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

okay gang, help me out here. I've got a buddy coming over tomorrow
with a dell poweredge 830. So, he calls and asks if i have any windows
server software for his sweet new server for hishouse. I laugh and say
(as i do every time I talk to him), why don't you put linux on
it... well, he's finally taken the bait, and tomorrow is the
day... hopefully new convert on the way...

So, i've googled around a bit and I haven't seen any showstoppers for
putting debian on this box except maybe the SATA drive support in
sarge. he claims to only have scsi in the thing, but we'll see. I've
got both sarge and etch beta2 netinst.iso's ready to go.

my question: are there any gotcha's I haven't seen in my research that
you all know about that would prevent an easy clean install on a
poweredge 830? its got, more or less:
intel p4, 2GB, 2x 187GB scsi drives, integrated XGI XG20 VGA
controller, unknown integrated gigabit NIC.

I'm mostly concerned about hardware support and mystery devices that
don't "just work" on this machine.
tia.

I have read strange stories about sarge not working with sata disks. Maybe people used old netinsts or are just unskilled for the job. My install is 1 year old, and I installed sarge from netinst in a sata disk with no problem.