Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

On Jul 12, 2006 at 21:52, Art Edwards praised the llamas by saying:
> I posted the same initial message on the three sites I thought were
> appropriate. My plea for honesty was a measure of frustration with
> what should be well-established packages. It turns out that in the newer
> distros, the structure of /usr/X11R6 has changed dramatically enough
> that it broke a .cshrc file that had worked for five years.

Your fustration clearly hasn't reached a point where you felt it
necessary to file a bug report about the issues you've faced. We can not
fix problems if we don't know about them. I can not find a single bug
report about the issues you've raised and I can only find one bug
submitted by yourself.

Occasionally we need to make incompatible changes to improve the
distribution. The NEWS.Debian for Xorg should detail these changes. I
would imagine that this change is significant to warrant a debconf
notice during upgrade. I would also hope it is detailed in the Etch
release notes, although I'd understand if these haven't been completely
written yet.

Arguably there should be symlinks in place so that the upgrade doesn't
break your .cshrc file. I would suggest filing a bug against the package
that contais the file that has moved, explaining that there is a
regression.

Please file bugs in our BTS as it is the only way maintainers can
reliably discover problems in the distribution. A large number of
developers do not read any of the lists you've posted to.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com