Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

> "David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com>
> I have a year old Toshiba Intel Mobil P4 laptop using Sid.

Does your laptop get hot under load? My wife has a Pentium M that
burned out two motherboards, when used to crunch RC5-72.

I look at it like this, if a computer is left on it might as well be
doing something, might as well get some use out of it. So I suggest
putting a distributed client on that machine let it help the world,
be it aliens, or dna, or math problems.

Now saying that I have found that some laptops are not desktops, and
heat is a problem, such as my wife's. So if your laptop is prone to
overheating then it might be better to leave it off. As in my
wife's case I had to disable RC5-72, as my warranty is about to
expire and I want it to last a bit longer.

Now I do have a Sony pcg fx215 with an amd duron 800 chip that is on
24/7 crunching RC5-72. It does get hot, but not as hot as my wife's
laptop, she is using a Dell 600M if your curious.  the Sony runs on
the mains, the batteries have long since died and have been taken
out.  As long as it is able to boot, and crunch, I am happy.

Gnu_Raiz