Re: How to create autorunning CD?

Indraveni wrote:
Hi,

I want to know how to create an autorunning CD in Linux especially
debian Linux. As soon as I insert the CD it opens up in a browser in my
system but along with this i also want a script to run automatically or
some html page should open.. Like in windows we create this using
autorun.inf file is there any method to do in Linux.

Can anyone give me any ideas about this sort of work pleaese? >

Some people argue that enabling autorunning CDs is a feature, but in fact in most of the cases it is a security hole, if anyone can run programs on your computer by just inserting a CD[1]. Therefore any kind of autorun is disabled in linux by default, no matter what you put on a CD.

So, the computer on which the CD is to be run has to explicitly configured to enable actions on inserting CDs. I've never done this myself, but one way to do it could be to add some udev rule. See
$ man udev
for a starter on that topic. Also try
$ apt-cache search autorun

The advantage of this approach is that you could specify exactly what kind of programs you would like to allow to be run from a CD.

HTH, Johannes

[1] or if anyone can put a secret program on a CD that gets executed (later hosing your system) when you insert that unsuspicious looking audio CD.