Re: Why?

> > Where did you get that logo? When it came up on the
> gnome desktop it immediatlely reminded me of
> something being flushed down the drain.  I hope it
> doesn't mean that!

Actually, the logo is a logarithmic spiral, which has
the interesting property that it employs what the
Greeks called the Golden Ratio (an irrational number
approximated by 0.618) which is found all over nature
and man-made objects, from the ratios of body size
generally considered attractive to the slope of the
Great Pyramid at Gizeh (or is it Giza, I can never
remember which is right). Thus the logo represents
Debian's rightful place at the centre of the universe.
Uh huh.

Some of the other logos considered can be seen at:
http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/vote_0004

Good Lord...I can see how the spiral was chosen.  Was
the contest fixed?  The only other one that wasn't
godawful butt-ugly was the DG logo, and that looks
like something for Amalgamated Consolidated, Inc.

Chris Mattern