Re: Howto fix grub after converting to reiserfs

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 17:03, marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a little problem :-o
>
> Machine has Windows on sda2 vfat, which is the MBR. (sda1 is not used),
> Linux on sda3, sda4 contains sda5 swap, sda6 ext Linux, sda7 is vfat
> shared space.
>
> Here's the story, so far
>
> - moved Linux (on sda3) to a safe place while booted on another
> partition (sda6)
> - formatted sda3 as reiserfs
> - amended both fstabs (sda3 and sda6)
> - mounted the newly formatted sda3 partition
> - moved the data back onto sda3
> - rebooted.
>
> Grub currently loads from /boot on sda3, or rather it doesn't now. I'm
> getting an error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition. I'm not overly
> surprised, but I'm not sure what to do next.
>
> I can mount the partition from a live CD without a problem, and I
> obviously mounted it from my sda6 partition.
>
> Suggestions welcomed.
>
> --
> Best,
> Marc

It would seem that grub only embeded support for ext2, which is what it should
do because the partition was ext (it uses ext2 support for both ext3 and
ext2).  What you have to do is embed the reiserfs support.
Try mounting the all the partitions as normal from a livecd, then chrooting
into it and running update-grub.  That should fix the problem.
- --
Matthew <matthewjd@gmail.com>

- --
oh okay. my mistake.

Yafcot:atj(*),

mark

* Yet another fool coming over this: according to joey
	-- mark@mail.novare.net