Editing run level S (was encrypted filesystem that can be mounted remotely?)

Leading on from the earlier posters question about configuring an
encrypted filesystem that does not interrupt the boot process with
a password prompt...

Can anyone tell me what the 'Debian way' is to remove something
(in this case 'cryptdisks') from runlevel 'S'?

The relevent links are:
  /etc/rc0.d/K48cryptdisks
  /etc/rc6.d/K48cryptdisks
  /etc/rcS.d/S28cryptdisks

Ultimately I just need to achieve the equivalent of
	rm /etc/rc[06S].d/*cryptdisks
but in a way that won't fall faul of the APT system..

I am sure I have seen 'update-rc.d' suggested in the past,
but the manpage warns:
       Please note that this program was designed for  use  in  package main?
       tainer  scripts and, accordingly, has only the very limited functional?
       ity required by such scripts.  System administrators are not encouraged
       to  use  update-rc.d  to  manage runlevels.  They should edit the links
       directly or use runlevel editors such as sysv-rc-conf and bum  instead.

indicating that it isn't the approved way to do it..

I tried the graphical runlevel editor 'bum', but it
gives a message stating:
	Editing in run level S is not allowed!
	Playing with rcS.d symlinks is an administration activity
	requiring deep knowledge of the runlevel system.
(it also bus-errors when I try to run it on a remote Xterm, but
 that is another story...)

Finally, I tried using 'sysv-rc-conf', and it seems that it did allow
me to deactivate cryptdisks - although not by just removing the links,
but instead changed the
	/etc/rcS.d/S28cryptdisks
symlink to
	/etc/rcS.d/K48cryptdisks

which I suppose has the desired effect, although I am not clear on
the logic behind doing it this way...

Does anyone know what is 'best practice', and what the logic is
behind the way things are being done?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com