Re: encrypted filesystem that can be mounted remotely?

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 17:00 +0000, Anonymous wrote:
> I'd like to keep some of the data on my computer's hard drive
> encrypted, but not necessarily all of it. But I also need to be able
> to reboot the computer remotely and log into by SSH without the
> encrypted FS mounted, then mount the encrypted partition in the SSH
> session (from a trusted machine, of course) presumably by giving a
> sort of mount command and entering the passphrase.
>
> I've never used an encrypted FS before. Is what I want possible? What
> encrypted FS supports this?

I would suppose all of them?
Add an encrypted Partition, with data or whatever on it, to a running
system can be done easily.
If you can mount a filesystem locally you can also mount it from within
a ssh-session.

Another problem is if you put "things" essential for booting up the
system into the encrypted partition. Then you'll have to invest some
extra work...

Cheers

Michael