Re: Mip-o-suction (horrible performance)

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 21:24 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Rich Johnson wrote:
> > I also notice that there's a big discrepancy in the readahead.
> > What are the tradeoffs of bumping this number? It just preloads
> > the disk controller's cache, right?
>
> Good question.

It is the difference between the 2.4 auto-optimizations and the 2.6
auto-optimizations. There are a number of reasons they are that way in
the first place. And it is not really the "controller's cache" as most
IDE controllers don't have much IF ANY onboard cache. It is the kernel's
read-ahead for scatter and gather.

It doesn't hurt to try to bump it up, unless you have a fixed controller
or something similar it should change. I have had some controllers
completely LOCK a machine, if that parameter is changed during a disk
write operation. Particularly, early versions of piix and cmd640x.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.