Re: Package question

Aurélien Morelle wrote:
Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
Aurélien Morelle wrote:
Hi,
I've done "apt-file update" and then "apt-file search msgfmt" returns nothing.
It makes me think it comes not from a package... strange.

It does not work for me on a completely unstable (upgraded and
> dist-upgraded daily) i386/i686 system.
More, I have gettext (and then /usr/bin/msgfmt) installed.

you could alternatively try
dpkg -S msgfmt

What output does this yield?
It yields this output :

gettext: /usr/lib/gettext/msgfmt.net.exe
gettext: /usr/bin/msgfmt
gettext: /usr/share/man/man1/msgfmt.1.gz

but it searches in installed packages whereas apt-file searches in repository.

'apt-file list gettext' shows also nothing.

There has been a thread recently on d-u about apt-file contents being empty on some servers/dists. Maybe you have run into this bug?

HTH

Wackojacko