Re: Command line audio and CD player?

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:46:14 +0200
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any command line tool that plays both?

I can't think of any specifically that do the job.

On the other hand, one would think that 'mplayer' should be do it, but
several attempts to access the cd device (/dev/cdrom, or /dev/hdc)
failed here. 'mplayer vcd://1' managed to read the TOC and it acted
like it was going to work (disc accesses) but it just stops. I really
didn't expect that to work, because I have an audio CD in the drive,
but not a video cd. Still, one would guess that if there's any command
like player that should be able to do the job, it should be mplayer,
simply because it seems to be able to play anything, and audio CD
playback should be simple enough, relative to the other stuff that
mplayer can do.

Interestingly enough, sox(1) when invoked as 'play' detected no medium
found in the drive when in fact there was no media, but fell over with
a segmentation fault when a CD was in the drive. This is on etch, BTW.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.