Re: Update and Package manager unresponsive

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:20:57 +0100
Stephen Fahey <stephen.fahey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've been a debian etch user for less than a week, all was going very
> well until after installing Firestarter firewall, which went well, I
> got the updates available window and went ahead with updates
> resulting in an error message, which I didn't write down.
>
> I now cannot open Update manager or start Synaptic package Manager.
> I think the issue is I'm not being asked for Administrator password,
> access to  Root Terminal does not get a response.  Running  :~$
> apt-get check in Terminal returns
>
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission
> denied) E: Unable to lock the administration directory
> (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

One of the upgrades of Etch this week gave me the same problem.
Open an terminal and login as root.
Then run synaptic from the command line
Check in synaptic if gksu is correctly installed.
If not, as i presume, reinstall it.

Hans