Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 10:09:56AM -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> I have been writing to the list about two applications that
> are so broken on the AMD64 distribution that they render the
> box pretty useless. I'm sure one could say that two measly
> applications are no big deal. However, if you do scientific computation
> for a living, and two of the primary tools are broken, you now have
> a rather clumsy paperweight where a computer should be. You could
> argue that we should simply learn new tools, and we could, but we
> should really be doing science instead.

> Unless such core pieces as the debugging tool (ddd) and the data display tool
> (xmgrace) are working, it is dishonest to pretend that the 64-bit version
> is ready for testing. It would be very nice if you, and other distro's, were
> to put appropriate caveats on the websites, saying that 64-bit is really not
> ready for the prime-time desktop. That way, we could make better purchasing
> decisions.

I don't see any bug reports with greater severity than normal on
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=ddd
and none of them are by you.  Do you have it verifiably failing?  Have
you considered filing a bug?

I don't see the package xmgrace listed at all, nor anything in
'apt-cache search xmgrace' -- maybe you can contact the xmgrace
community and find if there's the usual suspects (a new version, an open
bug with a workaround, etc)?

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
The tree in which the sap is stagnant remains fruitless.