Re: Update and Package manager unresponsive

Robin Putters wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 14:20 +0100, Stephen Fahey wrote:

I now cannot open Update manager or start Synaptic package Manager.
I think the issue is I'm not being asked for Administrator password,
access to  Root Terminal does not get a response.  Running  :~$ apt-get
check in Terminal returns

Try :
:~$ sudo apt-get update

or

:~$ su -c "apt-get update"

sudo apt-get update resulted in password prompt but wouldn't except
password, so tried next see below:

stephen@cpc3-stre2-0-0-cust694home01:~$ su -c "apt-get update"
Password:
Get: 1 http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu etch Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu etch Release
Hit http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu etch/main Sources/DiffIndex
Get: 2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources
Fetched 2B in 3s (1B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
stephen@cpc3-stre2-0-0-cust694home01:~$

I however still have access problems. Holding the mouse over the Update manager symbol I see the message
"A error occurred, please run Package Manager from the right-click menu or apt-get on a terminal to see what is wrong. The error message was: 'Error: BrokenCount > 0' "
Doing so gets no response.

Is there a way of logging in as administrator (root) on startup? or am I going to have to reinstall.

Steve