Re: Caught half-way through xorg 7 upgrade, errors in installation of x11-common

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:44:38 -0400
"Henk Boom" <lcpublic@gmail.com> wrote:

> With Opera uninstalled, the upgrade went perfectly smoothly! Now, with
> the help of cid's nvidia drivers, I've got my computer fully back up
> again =).

Hmm. I wished it were that easy for me when I tried it two weeks ago. I
know that the wiki entry for the 6.9 to 7.0 transition mentinos
that /usr/X11R6/bin should be empty - I didn't catch that either, and I
also had apera installed. Emphasizing that - maybe a bit more strongly
- i.e., please remove opera if you installed it - might have been of
more help.

As upgrades go, this was one of the more difficult ones in my
experience so far with Debian. I got the same problems as you, trying
to upgrade x11-common and having it fail. Probably what I should have
done is kept a log of things I tried in order to get it to finally work
(and it did hinge on doing an upgrade of x11-common). I also had to
upgrade install all the X11 related development files.

But so far Xorg 7.0 is working smoothly, although at one time I had
considered reinstalling etch :(.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.