Re: Update all the packages that depend on a particular package

On Jul 6, 2006, at 1:18 PM, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

On Thursday 06 July 2006 13:10, Alec Berryman wrote:
Kamaraju Kusumanchi on 2006-07-06 13:07:41 -0400:
Now whenever I am upgrading privoxy, I would like apt-get (or aptitude or
whatever other software) to check if there any newer versions of the
dependencies and update those as well. Is this possible? If so, How?

'apt-get upgrade' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' do that automatically.

Nope. apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade wants to upgrade a slew of other
packages besides what I want. I dont want to upgrade the entire system. I
just want to upgrade privoxy and its dependencies.

The ''upgraded'' dependency is not necessarily compatible with all of its dependents. You might need to upgrade one or more of the _other_ dependent packages as well. This can be a real pain to sort out. (just think how many packages depend on libc6!)

--rich