Re: Using real email addresses to mailing lists (was Re: securing an Ubuntu box in a shared office?)

On Thursday 06 July 2006 17:36, Stephen R Laniel wrote:

> See also Karsten Self on challenge/response systems:
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html

I think you are referring to me using a C-R system. Let me just start out by
saying that, I am not completely in favor of the CR system either. It is just
one of the methods that is suitable for my situation.

I dont have resources and energy to run my own mail server. So white/black (or
any other color in between :-) ) listing is not an option for me.

I was previously using gmail. But all gmail does is filter the spam out. The
drawbacks of this and using the gmail+spamcop is also not a viable solution
to get rid of spam. More details at
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/2006/06/gmail-and-spamcop-vs-bluebottle.html

Besides the fact that karsten's article is 2 years old, here are my opinions
about some of the issues raised by him. I am using blubottle's CR system. I
use this account just for mailing list subscriptions.

> 0. Weak, and trivially abused, verification basis.
It seems bluebottle takes necessary precautions to prevent FROM: headers
forgery. More info at
http://forums.bluebottle.com/index.php?showtopic=224&st=0&#entry982

The CR-CR deadlock described under entry 7 is not an issue here. There is a
folder called pending in bluebottle account. The user can go there and
approve the emails if the need arises.

The mailing list support is what worries me. Currently I am not having any
problems with d-u. But I am having problems with other mailing lists like vim
where I had to approve the new "from addresses" manually.  More details at
http://forums.bluebottle.com/index.php?showtopic=221
But this inconvenience is minor compared to going through hundreds of emails
in gmail's spam folder looking for one or two false positives.

To conclude, CR is not the best system out there to have a spam-free INBOX.
But it is good enough for people who rely on webmail rather than setting up
their own mail servers. I am open to any other suggestions which will get rid
of the spam problem in people's INBOX's.

raju

--
This email account uses challenge-response system.
Contact me only if you are comfortable with it.