cdrecord - strange failure

I had to burn 20 CDs. All but one of the first 18 went off OK; I put the
single failure down to a faulty disk. But after I'd done 18 they all
started failing. I tried a disk from a different source but the same
thing happened. I then tried to burn disks in a different computer
(running the same version of Debian) and the same failure occurred.

The error message is as follows:
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.17-1-k7
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
devname: '/dev/hdd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'debian-0.8debian2'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (debian-0.8debian2 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'SAMSUNG '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW SW-252B '
Revision       : 'R701'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.
cdrecord: Cannot get next writable address for 'invisible' track.
cdrecord: This means that we are checking recorded media.
cdrecord: This media cannot be written in streaming mode anymore.
cdrecord: If you like to write to 'preformatted' RW media, try to blank the media first.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 40 in real TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Turning BURN-Free off
cdrecord: Success. read track info: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  52 01 00 00 00 FF 00 00 1C 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 28
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 240s
cdrecord: Cannot get next writable address for 'invisible' track.
cdrecord: This means that we are checking recorded media.
cdrecord: This media cannot be written in streaming mode anymore.
cdrecord: If you like to write to 'preformatted' RW media, try to blank the media first.
cdrecord: Cannot get next writable address.

I'm on unstable, kernel 2.6.17. I tried reverting to 2.6.16 without
effect.

Google shows other people with a similar error message but no ready
solution. I can't understand why the first 18 disks went off almost
perfectly and then the errors started appearing.

Time for a bug report perhaps?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian