Re: Making a mixed audio and data CD with cdrecord? (CDplus)

Kevin Buhr <buhr+debian@asaurus.net> wrote:

> What you're trying to create is sometimes called a "CDplus" or "CD+"
> disc.  ...  Such discs need to be written in two "cdrecord" passes,
> using something like this:

>    cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd -multi -pad -audio track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav
>    mkisofs -r -J -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/hdd` -M /dev/hdd -o foo.iso data/
>    cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd -data foo.iso

This worked well, but I have some questions about the output I got.
(I've added the numbers in brackets for reference.)

[1] $ cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc -multi -pad -audio tracks/*.wav

[2] $ cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/hdc
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.15-25-686
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
Error: Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability.Is cdrecord installed SUID root?
: Operation not permitted
0,54112

[3] $ su

[4] # cdrecord -msinfo dev=/dev/hdc
0,54112

[4] $ mkisofs -r -J -C '0,54112' -o foo.iso data/

[5] $ cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc -data foo.iso

Since I got the same result in [4] as in [2], the warning resulting
from [2] isn't important, right?

Then I decided to burn more copies of the same thing.  I put a new
CD-R in the drive and ran [1].  Step [2] gave me the same numbers, so
I skipped [3] and [4] and re-used the same foo.iso file.  Do I
actually need to do [2] every time to check the numbers, or can I rely
on generating the same session details from the same track files every
time?

Thanks,
Adam