Re: /dev/lp0 rights and CUPS

On Monday 03 July 2006 19:31, Chris wrote:
> I have added lp to /etc/modules as was suggested in another message to
> this list.  Now I have  /dev/lp0 upon boot, but CUPS (localhost:631)
> complains:
>
> "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission
> denied"
>
> here are the versions I have installed.
>
> ii  cupsys         1.2.1-3        Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
> server ii  udev           0.093-1        /dev/ and hotplug management
> daemon
>
> and here are the rights I am getting with this setup
>
> crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2006-07-03 18:10 /dev/lp0
>
> why, oh why, can't udev and CUPS get along?   And how do I get udev to
> set the rights of /dev/lp0 to lp:lp which according to another posting
> is necessary to get let cupsd see it (it works if I manually do it)?
>
> I have the following in /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions
>
> printers/*:lp:lp:0660
> usb/lp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> usb/legousbtower[0-9]*:root:root:666
> lp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> parport[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
> irlpt[0-9]*:root:lp:0660
> usblp[0-9]*:lp:lp:0660
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly (really!) appreciated,

I am no expert on udeb permission rules but that looks to me like you want
the owner *and* group set to lp, with a permission of 660. But looking at
the output of ls above you get root as the owner. Anyway that's what it
looks like on my setup as well. I haven't had time to work with the udeb
permissions (don't even have a udev.permissions on my etch setup), but I
only got it to work when I set the permissions to 666. I do that from a
startup script now. Not very nice I know but it works. Let me know if it
helps.

Best regards

--
Olle Eriksson | Software Engineer