xorg dies. Modules loaded in wrong order?

After upgrading my etch to xorg7.0 and making everything up-to-date
yesterday, (except for a few package aptitude didn't want to
update) things went fine for a reboot or two.  But today when
I was out of the room, the screen went black.  When I pressed shift,
though it remained black except for about ten or so characters of
gibberish in the top left of the screen.  Pressing ctl-alt-F* didn't
help, didn't even get me to a text console.  Remote login via ssh
worked, so I used the ssh connexion to enter a reboot command.

Rebooting worked fine until it was time to start gdm.  Again the
screen went black and everything becane unresponsive.

Now I have a dual boot system, sarge or etch.  Sarge works fine.
So I figure I eliminated hardware problems.

After a while I managed to get it into a state where I could use
a text console after the crash, and examined some log files.  (I used an
old 2.6.11 kernel I had lying around to accomplish this -- but I
suspect I was just lucky.  Each reboot failed in a similar, but slightly
different way, so random chance seems to be a factor)

The following messages in xorg.1.log seem relevant:

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want to make sure the agpgart kernel module
is loaded before the radeon kernel module.
(**) RADEON(0): RADEONDRICloseScreen

Very good.  I imagine X *might* have trouble reaching the video card
if the driver for the AGP slot is missing.  Now how *do* I "make sure
the agpgart kernel module is loaded before the radeon kernel module."?
And why isn't it already happening?  Or is the problem somewhere else?
Where should I look?  After the crash (i.e., now), lsmod tells me that
agpgart *is* loaded.

-- hendrik